In memoriam: my grandmother

Last Thursday, my grandmother passed away.
She was ninety years old and the last months she suffered from dementia. I am glad to say she was not alone when she died, my parents were with her.

My grandmother loved reading and I often talked about books with her. I also know she was proud of me for becoming a schoolteacher. She always wanted to be a schoolteacher, but when she was young there was no money to let her study.
And although we knew the end was coming, it is still a very sad time for us. I will miss my grandmother, but it is a comfort her passing was peaceful and she is now with my grandfather again.
My grandparents in 2007, on their 65th wedding anniversary.

Comments

  1. Your grandmother sounds like a kind and loving person. I'm so sorry for your loss, but glad her passing was peaceful and that she's with your grandfather again. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lark, it is much appreciated.

      Kind regards,

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry for you loss, Bettina. I've lost a relative to dementia and it is very sad, but your grandmother is in a better place now. It sounds like she was a lovely lady. Once again, sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jade, I appreciate your kind words.

      Kind regards,

      Delete

Post a Comment