In memory of Umberto Eco

When I was fourteen years old, I read a book that made a huge impression on me, for the first time in my life I read a book that was both historical and philosophical and that was packed with knowledge about the Middle Ages. I read The name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.

I always loved the Middle Ages, but I do believe it was also because of this book that I actually studied Medieval history when I was at university.

Umberto Eco studied Medieval philosophy and was a professor at the university of Bologna.
Yesterday the news came that this great writer died at the age of 84. He will be missed.
Umberto Eco 1932-2016
Photosource
Captain Cook discovered Australia looking for Terra Incognita. Columbus thought he was finding India but discovered America. History is full of events that happened because of an imaginary tale.

Comments

  1. Oh, how sad! I hadn't heard that he died. I will miss him. His books were some of the first "foreign/translated-into-English" novels I ever read, starting with The Name of the Rose. What a great author! I'm sad he's gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean!He was a great writer and a great man, I think. I once saw an interview with him and I really liked him.

      I am just glad we still have his novels!

      Kind regards,

      Delete

Post a Comment