Thinking about the how and why of this blog (again)

Rome, Summer 2015
Lately I felt like I was stuck in a rut with this blog. I once set it up as a place where I can be a little more creative than on my Dutch blog. I posted different articles over here than over there.

I wanted this blog to express a lot of different things; my love for books, arts, museums, period-drama and good films and especially I wanted to reflect my huge love for Italy. When I finally got that direction, I felt really happy and excited to continue.

But somehow over the past months I lost my focus. Nowadays this blog is nothing but a pale copy of my Dutch blog and that is not what I wanted or want. And Italy is completely lost on this blog. I post photos of Rome or Florence, but that is it. The last real article about something Italian was in October last year, when I wrote about two Roman museums. 

Of course I went to Paris a couple of times in the last year and I read a lot of French literature at the moment, but I also still read a lot of books by Italian authors (even though a lot of those are not translated into English) and in my mind Italy is as important as ever.

These past weeks I felt this blog was getting a burden, a chore rather than something fun to do. I even thought about quitting, but I was not quite prepared to be that radical.

So it is time to think again. How can I get my creativity back on this blog and how can I get my focus (on Italy) back?
Rome, Summer 2015
I have decided to delete a couple of planned posts and make sure I do not have the same posting schedule over here as on my Dutch blog. There will be some overlap sometimes in articles, for example a book or an exhibition I want to tell you about on both blogs. 

But I will make it a priority to write different articles here as well. Or, when I do post an article on both blogs, I will try to find a different angle. How I will do this I am not quite sure and I also do not know yet how this will work out, but we will see.

The photographs I post each week will also be the same one, just for my own sanity, I do not think I could keep up with posting different photographs: I think I would end up posting double etc.

I also thought perhaps that I would write one spontaneous article per week, next to the scheduled one. This would make sure I am creative and original when I post here. I do not know yet, this is just one idea that is flowing in my mind.

In the next weeks I will probably try out different things, seeing what will work and what won’t. I cannot tell you anymore and I am also not sure what my blogging schedule will be.

I hope you are willing to be patient with me and understand where I come from and especially: where I want to go. I hope to get a better blog and even more important: a blog I am proud of and that gives me a huge amount of fun! 

Comments

  1. I know what you mean about feeling in a blogging rut; I've been feeling a little that way lately, too. I hope you can figure out what makes you happier and more satisfied...while still keeping this blog alive! I love your blog...but you've got to do what's best for you. Good luck! I will happily be awaiting your new posts, whatever they may be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate them! I think perhaps everybody who has a blog can recognize the 'blogging rut'.
      I will come out of it, I already have deleted most of my planned posts and creative ideas are coming again, but it will take a little time to sink in! But do not worry, I am not going anywhere for now! :-)

      Kind regards,

      Delete
  2. I can understand where you're coming from. While I have only taken up blogging again last summer (after a break of several years), I can relate - every once in a while, we get to a point when we ask ourselves where we're going. My personal goal - when I took up blogging again - was writing on a weekly basis. That hasn't worked out due to circumstances - sometimes I haven't been in the mood for writing, or too much is going on around me so I couldn't focus. I also had a fairly clear picture of what I wanted to write about. That hasn't worked out, either, as life just got into the way and I felt I couldn't write about a book or a movie when I was shaken up by the (world) events around me. I had figured I could write up posts beforehand and just post them when the time felt right. That hasn't worked for me, either - I know a lot of people do it, but I just can't - not spontaneous enough for me. My postings tend to reflect the my feelings at the time I'm writing them down. Pointless to write something one week and post it three weeks later - I might feel less / more passionate about something by then. What I'm trying to say is - you've got to find out what works for you *at this point in your life* - and follow suit then for as long as this seems right to you. I really enjoy your blog, and as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't mind fewer entries or less regular entries. As long as you keep it up and write when you can / feel like it / have something to say, I'll read it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for you comment, Gisela, it is much appreciated. Yes, we all blog in our own way and that is good, and it is also good to think sometimes about what is good for you and what is not.
      I feel better already because I made the decision to change things, funny how that works. :-)

      Kind regards,

      Delete

Post a Comment