Exhibition: Dutch modernists

Anton Mauve, winterlandscape 1885-1887
Everybody knows the painings from the Dutch 17th century, the Golden Age. But it is safe to say Dutch art had a second golden age in between 1870-1940. In these days the Dutch painters were inspired by Impressionism and Fauvism, but also came up with their own styles.

Last week I saw an exhibition which showed the best Dutch modernist painters and it was very beautiful and divers. There was a little overlap sometimes with the other exhibition I just saw about the Dutch painters in Paris, but the focus was of course different.

This exhibition began with painters like Anton Mauve, who went outside to paint nature, just like the French painters from Barbizon.

The Dutch painters went to Paris and were inspired by Impressionism. Painters like George Breitner and Isaac Israels were knows as the Amsterdam Impressionists, since they painted scenes from the big city.
Willem Witsen, Oosterpark in Amsterdam 1900

Georges Breitner, Dam in Amsterdam 1891
Dutch painters put their own spin on Fauvism and expressionism, and I loved seeing how a painter could begin in a certain kind of style, but could end up painting in a different style.
Jan Sluijters, Spanish dancer, 1906
In the years between the two world wars, there were groups of painters all around The Netherlands who helped eachother and who inspired eachother. I loved seeing a couple of paintings from my favorite Dutch school, The ploeg (the plough) from Groningen (where I was born). I love their work and I am glad these paintings were also shown as an example of amazing Dutch art.
Jan Altink, Rooster at Blauwborgje , 1927-1928

Hendrik Werkman, A walk during an autumnmorning 1922
The Dutch modernists can be seen at the Singer Museum in Laren until January 7th, 2018.

Comments

  1. Ooh...I think I have some new favorite artists! Thanks for sharing all of these. :) I especially like the Witsen and the Mauve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are beautiful, aren't they? I really loved those as well, but my favorites are the ones by Jan Altink and Hendrik Werkman. :-)

      Kind regards,

      Delete

Post a Comment